6.15.2009

Feature Friday: These Precious Things - Jama Watts

Many thanks to Devin who got this interview together on our Facebook page. I copied and pasted from there. Thanks so much to our superstar Jama Watts for participating

!


1)How did you first hear about etsy :

I'd heard about etsy a while back from a friend who was purchasing items and thinking about opening her own store. Last year, when I made the conscious decision to promote myself better, I opened my store in July. It took me a while, but I really enjoy it!

2)Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!:

I'm a single mother of one fantastic little girl, own a small gallery/coffee shop in Lebanon, Ky, work part-time at the local public library and am very involved in the community with our Arts & Humanities Council, Main Street Committee, Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and other organizations. I like to be busy!

I'm a jewelry designer, focusing primarily on beading, but I also do wire work, silver clay, resin, bead crochet and anything else that strikes my fancy. I'm too ADD to really focus on one medium and I LOVE to learn, so I'm always buying books and magazines to learn new techniques.

3)How did you get started as a designer?:

I started out as a painter and sculpter, getting my art degree from Campbellsville University. Like many artists, I ended up with jobs that had nothing to do with my degree for a while. I kept painting in my spare time, but wasn't doing anything career wise or promoting myself.

In 2002, I was pregnant with my daughter and working as a web designer/office manager for my mom's computer programming & repair business. My OB kicked me out of my art studio and I needed to find some sort of creative release. I bought some beads, beading wire and inexpensive tools, figuring that I could create jewelry and have something to wear or give as gifts. I found I really enjoyed it and started snatching up every beading book and magazine I could find!

4)What inspires you to create?:

I have to create. I can actually feel when I haven't been able to produce something. I think that's just something inside me that has to be released. As for a muse or something to that effect, I have music going 99.9% if the time that I'm working. I find inspiration in music, artwork and nature. Sometimes, it might be the thrill of learning a new technique of a challenge, but the inspiration comes from those three key items.

5)How long have you been a member of Bluegrass etsy and how did you hear about the team?


I joined the BEST team right after joining etsy, probably in August or September of 2008. I searched through the etsy team listings, hoping to find a group of Kentucky artists. I couldn't be happier that I found you guys!
6)Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?:

Always push yourself beyond your comfort zone. There's nothing wrong with perfecting a technique and working on your favorite items, but you don't want your art to become stagnant.


Check out here awesome shop here:
http://thesepreciousthings.etsy.com

No comments: