10.09.2009

Feature Friday: Danielle Hammon of Lovelettersdesigns

Today we feature a new team member and jewelry artist, Danielle Hammon of Lovelettersdesigns.


How did you first hear about etsy?

I believe I saw it on a blog a few years ago. I’ve wanted to have my own shop ever since but it wasn’t until a few months ago that I took the plunge and decided to do it.

Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!

I am the Design Director for Underwired Magazine, a local women’s magazine in the Greater Louisville/Southern Indiana area. I decided to start I make earrings to sell on etsy about three months ago. I wanted to create earrings that were unique, but also simple and sophisticated. I love the simple elegance of v-shaped earwire to take a fun element or bead and make it a little more grown up. I think there is really something in my shop for everyone. Whether meeting a friend for coffee, or going out for a night on the town, my designs are functional and eye catching. I wear them everyday and get compliments all the time!


How did you get started as a designer?

I have done art for as long as I have been able to hold a crayon. My mom was constantly making things growing up. Our dining room turned into a workshop every year in November as my mom started making Christmas gifts for people, most of which showcased her painting skills. I started making my own jewelry in high school and have kept is as a hobby until now. It hasn’t been until recently that I thought about turning it into something more. I was in a bead store with my sister in July and I thought suddenly “I can do this, I’m going to do this.” I came home, made a bunch of earrings and opened my shop the next day.

What inspires you to create?

I draw inspiration from everywhere... art and design, nature, life. My husband has been a huge encouragment. He has been the push I need sometimes to go out and make my dreams happen.


How long have you been a member of Bluegrass etsy and how did you hear about the team?

I have been a Bluegrass team member for about a month and a half. I met Kim and Libby when they were thinking about advertising with Underwired. At that point I was only a month into my shop. The night I met them I had my first sale!

Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?

I’m more in a place of taking advice rather than giving it right now, but I have learned so much in the little time I’ve been a part of etsy. I guess my advice would be to take advantage of every resource out there. There are so many! And don’t give up or get discouraged.

****************

Great advice Danielle!
To see more of Danielle's creations, visit her Lovelettersdesigns etsy shop.

4 comments:

Spoolofplenty said...

I love your style! Very classy and cute!

Jackie said...

All of your earrings are beautiful but I ADORE the Dear Kitty. Welcome to the team!

Auroras_Garden said...

Danielle is a very classy lady and it shows in her work. LOVE her style too!

KimberlyRies said...

I love the artichoke earrings! Welcome to the team Danielle!