8.07.2009

Feature Friday: Carmen Garling of Dentedhalo Designs

Today we are highlighting the very talented Carmen Garling of Dentedhalo Designs. Carmen is from Frankfort and she always amazes us with her beadweaving skills. She also makes greeting cards in addition to her jewelry.


How did you first hear about etsy?

Wow, that's been a little while! I think that I first saw people with etsy shops in their signature lines on a message board I belonged to. I checked out their shops and started to hear a little more about etsy. I liked what I saw and read. I just loved that there was an online place just for handmade artsy things for sale by the artists themselves.

Tell us about a little about yourself and your favorite craft/art!

I'm originally a Hoosier, I've been transplanted here for quite some time though. I love Kentucky and call it home now. I have lived in Frankfort for nearly 17 years now. As far as crafts, anything goes! If it's crafty, I'll try it. Even though I am drawn to all types of crafts, I love beads and paper. I began jewelry making seriously about 4 years ago. I like to make cards too. I like to sew and scrapbook, but I just run out of time in a day to do all the things I'd like to.


How did you get started as a designer?

I think it comes naturally. My family is a very creative one. My grandmothers were both wonderful seamstresses. My maternal grandmother reupholstered furniture and my grandfather made and refinished antiques. I always had the example of re-purposing and fixing things, not throwing them away. You have to become something of a designer to make those types of things look attractive! :) My mother is also a seamstress of the best caliber, and my Dad is one of those types who can fix anything. I've gotten a little of both of them, at least enough to be passable with most things.


What inspires you to create?

Everything! Color, texture, joy, sadness, you name it, it ends up in my pieces. Even much later, I still look at a piece that I've made and it will bring to mind what was going on emotionally when I made it.


How long have you been a member of Bluegrass etsy and how did you hear about the team?

I've been a member for hmmmm, about 8 months maybe? Kim Ries and I struck up a conversation from a mutual board we belonged to and she couldn't say enough nice things about Team Bluegrass. I just had to join after all that!

Any advice you would give to aspiring designers?

A couple things spring to mind. Never quit learning about your craft! If you can learn a new stitch, brush up on basic skills, and broaden your horizons, do it! But most of all, make the best product you can, put your heart and soul into it, and have fun!


Anything else you would like to add?

Support other artists! I try to buy as much as I can afford to from other artists, whether it's someone selling supplies, or other arts that I'd like to support. Especially the local folks! One of the reasons I love belonging to a team like Team Bluegrass is the camaraderie of other artists, and sharing of ideas and marketing tips. It's also nice to see all the interesting types of crafts that everyone does. We may have several jewelry designers, but everyone has a different style and look.


********************
Thanks Carmen for allowing us to interview you! It's always so interesting to learn more about our talented team members!

To see more of Carmen's work visit her Dentedhalo etsy shop here. You can also follow her blog to learn more about her.

To see more of the talent from the Bluegrass etsy team, go to etsy, then type in "teambluegrass" in the search box. Enjoy shopping from the comforts of home and support the Kentucky Handmade movement!

5 comments:

Fanciful Expressions said...

Beautiful work. I especially like the first one with the pink stones and beads.

Carolyn

Auroras_Garden said...

I LOOOVE her stuff! Great interview!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the wonderful feature! Thank you Libby and Carolyn for the compliments! It's nice to know my obsession with beads and paper is appreciated! LOL
:) Carmen

Jackie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the purple earrings! Your work is beautiful!

KimberlyRies said...

I learned new things about you Carmen! I liked that your family is creative too. I got my creativity from my grandmother. She was always making crafts and did a lot of embroidery work. Enjoyed your interview.